1914 TIME CAPSULE

On July 5, 1914, a time capsule in the form of a brick, was officially laid as part of the foundation of Sacred Heart Cathedral School.   Rector of the Cathedral was Rev. John Flannagan, who served from 1907 to 1926. 















In preparation for the 2017 All-School Sacred Heart Reunion, parishioner Patrick Costello, class of 1951, chipped away at the corner of the school to dislodge the time capsule so that it could be opened at the reunion and then preserve for the future. 














The time capsule was opened by Fr. Rich Adam and Patrick Costello at the June 24, 2017 Reunion.  It contained 3 newspapers:  The Catholic Messenger, the Davenport Democrat and the Daily Times. It also included a scroll insidea test tube that was sealed by a cork.  Inside the test tube was this letter written by Fr. Flannagan:































This corner stone of the parish school of the Sacred Heart Cathedral parish, was laid
Sunday, July 5th, 1914, by Rt. Rev. Jas. Davis, D.D.,  Bhp of Davenport.  Rt. Rev. Msgr. Flavin,
V. G. of Des Moines, delivered the principal address.  Rt. Rev. James Davis, Hon. M. F. Donegan &  (illegible) also delivered addresses.  Rev. Edw. F. Barron acted as Master of Ceremonies,
Rev. J.J. Troy, asst. Master of Ceremonies.

                                                                                                                                       J. T. A. Flannagan, Rector
                                                                                                                                               July 5th, 1914

Plans are underway to include the contents of the 1914 time capsule in a 2017 time capsule for the cornerstone of the new Diocesan Center.